ABC Wednesday - A
Agida: Italian-American slang for heartburn but it can also mean mental aggravation. The word is Italian-American slang derived from the Italian "agitare" meaning "to agitate".
I felt agida as I watched the inaguration with my students yesterday. I was really hurt by President Obama's comment: "Schools are failing our children." I wondered as I sat there with 23 young minds (who probably started wondering if their school/teacher was failing them), if they fail, will it truly be because of me?
Teachers work so hard to help America's kids. I've worked as a teacher or sub in 18 different school districts, and they are filled with teachers who are working hard for their kids. And it's becoming harder and harder just to be a teacher. Josh has said to me this year that if he had go through what I have to in the state of Ohio to teach he would have quit by now! And he has a teaching degree just like me!
So many times I've watched heart-broken as kids struggle in school because parents are too self-focused to help their kids succeed. No matter what a child's natural intelligence level is, they succeed if they have parents who are willing to put their own selfish desires aside for the sake of their kids. Some kids are moving back and forth between two houses every week, others have parents who are in and out of jail, or who simply don't care enough to even ask their child whether or not they've done their homework. And yet it's the schools that are failing?I am also frustrated because a lot of teachers put him into Office. I just got my NEA magazine and it was littered with Obama's picture and how much the teachers helped. It is just frustrating then to have him say we are failing. Some might say I'm taking his comment too personally--but the overriding point of his speech was that it's the government's job (federal/state/local) to solve all our problems. The message he is sending is basically, "Just sit back and let the schools take care of raising your child for you, and if they don't, make sure you complain." Someone has rightly said that the new mantra is, "Ask not what your country can do for you... demand what your country do for you." I love my job and I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I think it's time we place more responsibility on families to make wise decisions for the sake of their children. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be hearing a message of responsibility from our leadership for at least four years.
11 comments:
I couldn't agree with you more! OUr schools here are overcrowded as our district grows faster than we can keep up with. My son's education is suffering as a result of greedy developers building faster than school systems can be provided. Teachers are frazzled and underpaid and overworked. And feeling so all alone with no support. Administrators make decisions that aren't well thought out. No input from those that have to implement it.
Unions have lost their usefulness and now are more of an impediment to our children's education.
I hope more people hear what have had to say as I sense the hurt.
I thank you for your dedication and perseverance.
I'm so glad you posted about this! I totally agree with you! Parents play a huge part in their children's education! We have a generation of selfish parents, who care more about themselves than their kiddos!
Dad and I pray for Obama and hope he and his family become Christians who represent our Savior!
Love,
Mom
Great post!
Well, you know, he said 'schools' not 'teachers'. Maybe he was talking about the beaurocracy and the policies, rather than the staff? We have the same problems over here, and the politicians say the same things.
Will things change? I hope so!
On behalf of the team, thank you for joining in with ABC Wednesday, with a thought-provoking post! I have been suffering from agida myself, lately, but of the physical kind. I should not have eaten those clementines ... :p
I think he meant the people in charge of the schools like the superintendant or school board. I don't think he meant the teachers. I had a lot of teachers that I know could care less about their students and I know you're a great teacher Danielle because you are the total opposite of those teachers that I had! =]
You keep being the great teacher you are and impact the lives you have the chance to touch. The truth is stated well in your blog . . parents are ultimately responsible for the training of their children. the schools can not be to blame.
Poignant post.
I am glad you are doing all you can to be the best teacher for your students. It makes me thankful!
I know God is always in control.
I believe Obama is a Christian. I think God will use Obama in great ways to unite our country.
Love, Becky : )
I'm not a teacher. But it didn't occur to me that he was referring to teachers...it still doesn't, matter of fact. Good post and certainly a provocative one which will give me room to ponder.
Great post! I linked to you on my recent rant about Obama
I have a family full of teachers, professors and school administrators. They are all very good teachers, dedicated to their profession with a concern for their students and a desire to improve education for their students and for themselves. Everyone of them work long hours for their students and schools and are wonderful role models.
To all the teacher that have worked hard, given long hours at the expense of themselves and their families and cared for their students even beyond the academics, I want to say thank you and that you have not failed us. In many cases you have taugth us what it means to work hard and get little praise, to care about children and go beyond what is required of you. Where would we be without these teachers? Remember you are in good company. He also said President Bush failed us, which we all know is not true. He lead our country through a horrible attack on our land calmed our fear and brought us together. He has continue to protect us from another attack on our soil since that horrible day. For that I say thank you President Bush! I am also thankful for the hard work of the men that risk their lives to arrest the men that are a threat to our country. I pray that the fast decision to close down where these men are held will not bring woe to us. Thank you also for the many men and woman that have given time and in so many cases their lives to protect us. You have not failed us either. You are our heros. I hope this President will think before he speaks and I pray he thinks before he acts. There is so much that has gone before him that he needs to learn before he acts. I am saddened with the issues that he has felt important to revise or act on his fist days in office. Please pray for our country and the decisions being made. But the most important thing to remember is that God is always in control and He knows all and sees all and our responsible is to pray and love others. I rest at night only because my trust is in the Lord.
Thank you Danielle for opening up this subject so we can all think about what people say and how it affects others. You are a wonderful teacher and I am very proud of you and your dedication to your students and to your family.
Love you Mom W.
I totally agree, as a teacher and as a mom! It is VERY discouraging. Don't let it discourage you though - we have a higher power we are searching, as you know, that is VERY pleased with what you are doing!
Post a Comment