And the LORD said to Samuel, “Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them. [...]only you shall solemnly warn them and show them the ways of the king who shall reign over them.” 1 Sam. 8:7, 9 (ESV)
This past election--and every presidential election--is a good reminder to Christians that their hope is not, nor has it ever been, in human government. Here 1 Samuel 8 goes on to describe what the kings of Israel will be characterized by, including taking from the sons of Israel to set up an army for himself, taxing excessively, and redistributing Israel's wealth for his own ends. In spite of this the people still respond in verse 19, "No, but there shall be a king over us [...]" If ancient Israel's God-sanctioned human government wasn't the "answer," surely 21st Century American government is not either.
Instead, the New Testament is overwhelmingly concerned with the "Kingdom." Of the 158 times the word is used in the New Testament, only a few don't refer to the "Kingdom of Heaven" or the "Kingdom of God," which of course has nothing to do with human government, but what God will establish in spite of failed human government. As Jesus says in John 18:36, "My kingdom is not of this world." And Peter's admonition to "honor the king" (1 Pet 2:17) essentially amounts to a command to pay your taxes, not to look to human government as any sort of answer for society's problems. Often government itself is the problem, as it often was for ancient Israel.
Fear on the part of Christians over what the next few years will bring is misplaced, and so is excessive happiness about the results of the election. Even the best of human governments (American) has proven its inability to bring about a positive moral climate, and we can be sure this trend will continue. Instead our hope lies completely outside the realm of human government. It lies in what God will do when he abolishes government and brings about his own kingdom--the kingdom John refers to when he says in Revelation 11:15: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever," reminding us that Jesus Christ is the only one to whom we pay homage, and his the only kingdom in which we place our hope.
-Josh
6 comments:
Josh- thanks for writing this! I'm disappointed yet not shaken. I think it's an opportunity to trust God even more. It makes me want to dig deeper into His Word and to daily remind myself that God is not distant in matters like this. Our perspective should always be upward. The only hope we have is not in man but in Him who suffered much on calvary. I am undone every time I think how I am saved from the wrath of God! He who knew no sin, did this for me!
love you,
Mom K
Daniel 4:17
Excellent post to put things into perspective today. As a Canadian I was hoping McCain would surge ahead, but let's pray that the new president WILL look to the Lord for guidance and wisdom in all the many decisions he is faced with over the next 4 years.
Peace!
Well spoken. I am praying mightily : )! I pray that his years in office will be a blessing for all of us.
I had a friend at work today that was FREAKING OUT about the whole election thing, and for the life of me, I couldn't remember your blog name. I can't always get onto my blog at work so I couldn't look it up that way. I am going to send her a link to this post because I think it is so well written and thought provoking! Hope you all have a great weekend!
Thanks Becky! You're so encouraging. Tell Kaish I said HI!
Josh this is excellent,thank you for the focus you gave us, and things to pray about.
It is wonderful that the Lord is always in contol. We are just on a jouney walking through this life, this is not our home, while we are here it is our purpose to show Christ to others. Govenment is not the answer, faith in Christ is the answer and that is what we should be sharing with others.
I always appreciate you writings, keep it up Josh.
Love you Mom
Post a Comment