
Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.
1 John 3:18
I am glad I have an opportunity to blog about this for ABC Wednesday. Our church does this project for Samaritan's Purse. You get a shoe box and you choose a child and the age of the child and you fill it with gifts for Christmas. I had Josh get the box and I thought that we'd go shopping together, but one day I came home and Josh had done all the shopping. The story I am about to share, Josh will probably be embarassed, but I am thankful for a husband who is compassionate.
He said he was shopping and he saw all these inexpensive gifts that he could fill the box with, but then a thought struck him. He thought if this box were for Annabelle what would she like. And he proceeded to then by things based on what she'd like and not on the price tag. I got choked up! I thought how selfish I could be when giving to others, and yet he wasn't! He was so proud of this box and all the things that he chose. We did not show the box to Annabelle because we knew how she would want everything in it. Next year, we will have Annabelle shop for the items. We think this will be a great way to teach her how to truly care and love others, even those we don't know or will never meet!
5 comments:
ahh! the true spirit of Christmas! & giving. what a day brightener! Thanks.
What a super special S post for today.
Thank you for sharing.
Bear((( )))
This made me cry. How beautiful. We do this at our church also and Kaishon loves it! We are already planning our box for this year. Sometimes Kaish gets TOO excited. He wanted to get the child an ipod last year for $199. I had to nip that in the bud (since he wasn't even getting any $199 presents : )
Gary always gets an angel from the tree at work. This year I was complaining about how we didn't have enough money for all of these extra things and Gary said, "I would rather give to the Christmas angel at work than get anything for myself." Then I felt guilty for being so jerky...
I loved this post Danielle! Beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving!
awesome danielle, a great reminder of the type of giving attitude we should have this time of year!
how sweet... thanks for sharing
Post a Comment